Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Shenanigans!

I recently rented Down & Dirty with Jim Norton, a short comedy series featuring a bunch of different comedians. I tried to get a screen capture of a scene in this movie that is so unbelievable my computer even denied it existed and refused to cooperate.

Between sets a DJ would throw down a few seconds of a rock track as the comedians changed up. Who was selected for this challenging role? None other then Lemmy from Motorhead. You read that right; Lemmy. This is not even the strange part as Lemmy wrote the shows theme.

The strange part was the equipment he was using. Being a DJ myself I was obviously straining to see what they gave him to cue up his tracks. A few times an overhead camera gave me a clear shot and what I saw blew my mind. As it happens the shows producers have no clue what a DJ actually does. Lemmy is standing in front of multiple stacks of guitar amplifiers and in front of him he had not one, not two but three DJ mixers. Thats it. Just the mixers.

Let me explain to you (and the shows producers) how a typical DJ setup works and what a mixer does. A mixer allows you to control a number of different audio inputs, maybe from a pair of vinyl decks, cd turntables or even samplers. Something that plays music. My mixer has two inputs, one for each turntable. Each of Lemmys three mixers had 6 inputs. Thats a total of 18 audio inputs (i.e 18 turntables) to play 15 seconds of one whole song and NOTHING TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE SONG. Thats like having three game controllers and no console. The shows producers even gave Lemmy a token pair of headphones that he (obviously) doesn't even use once. I have to wonder which mixer the headphones were plugged into, if any at all.

The crowning moment was when Lemmy was busted on film standing around while the music mysteriously cued up all on its own.

I realize that this is a comedy show, but seriously, who is that joke on?

No comments: