Wednesday, October 28, 2009

River City Sunset

The bakery I work at is undergoing some renovations and as a result I had an unprecedented 5 days off. Having plans for a five song EP I saw the opportunity to sit down and complete a song a day. Though I did need two extra days to complete the last song I consider the whole project a success as I actually completed something for once.

For this release I decided to put some new software to the test. A few months ago I purchased iZotope Ozone 4 which as a dedicated mastering suite. I decided it would be cheaper for me to spend the money on some proper software and do the work myself instead of having to drive local sound engineers to insanity. I went back and remastered Calahoo, Euphoria and Starlena. Though it took me many hours and was huge pain in the ass to do I am very pleased with the result.

I also recorded two new songs specifically for this release. One is Constellations (Epic Intro Mix) which is a remix of a song that I wasn't ready to release just yet. The other, Rogue Memories, is an ethereal number which is based off a piano track with delay effects, haunting samples and an easy but fat drum beat. Random factoid: at 3:33 (The number of the beasts little sister) this song is the shortest I have ever written without having to drastically scale it down.

The album has been submitted to Songcast and will take up to six weeks to appear on iTunes. Until then check out some of my work on MySpace.

I have also taken some footage of myself recording this record and generally looking like a total goof. I will use it in a short video to promote the EP when it comes out and embarrass myself in a rather cruel and unusual way. With any luck it will go viral and I will forever be known as that idiot with that video. One can dream.

Keep an eye out!

-John

No comments: