Friday, August 25, 2006

Festival City

There is nothing I enjoy more about Edmonton than its status as festival city. Thursday I made the decision to completely ignore all responsibilities and just go out and have fun. The original plan was to go down to Whyte and check out the crowd at this years Fringe festival. I doubt there is another area in Edmonton that attracts a more vibrant and diverse group of people than Whyte. Having picked up a newspaper to enjoy with a coffee before I left I noticed another event taking place that same afternoon. An aboriginal arts fair taking place on Churchill Square. Having woken up much earlier than anticipated, despite the fun I had the previous evening, I decided I was going to make a whole day of my outing. The only factor to endanger this plan would haven been the weather but thankfully it could not have been more accomodating.
I forget the official name of the aboriginal arts fair deal mostly because its a brand new addition to the Edmonton scene. Because of this the event was rather small, but when I arrived there was a surprisingly decent turnout. The prerequisite teepee was there, placed in the center and surrounded by a handful of stalls selling native arts and crafts, clothing and jewelry. When I arrived there was even a dance circle going down complete with costumes and a drum circle. Tourists, office workers and bums alike took hands followed the leader and did their best to keep the rythym. It was quite the sight.
Though always changing, the Fringe remained the same. Ive never actually gone to see a play yet, but just to go down to Whyte and enjoy the festivities is good enough for me. The usual eccentrics were out in full force accompanied by every other walk of life with their yippy dogs in tow. The buskers busked, the hawkers hawked and the crowds ate mini donuts. As a friend received a foot massage at a reflexology booth I ventured off and ended up under a tent enjoying a non alcoholic margarita and a childrens play telling the story of Noahs Ark. The animals were played by the children in the crowd one by one the parents started getting reluctant roles too. Yet another sight I won't forget for a while.

No comments: