Saturday, March 31, 2007

Champion

I cannot express to you the experience that was Champion at the Dinwoodie Lounge on Thursday night. I was never the biggest fan and attended the show because of its relevance and the potential for a memorable performance. Memorable doesn't even begin to describe it. Champion simply was the most amazing musical experience of my life.

Like anybody who heard "No Heaven" the first single off the amazingly succesful album "Chill Em All" I slowly began to take an interest in this band. After hearing the third track "Nggg" I was completely hooked and decided I needed to know absolutely everything about them. I was a little surprised at what I found. Champion is actually an established DJ in Montreal who recorded an electronic album (and plays live) with five different guitarists. Five.

However, without a little background knowledge, hearing the album in its entirety will be something of a dissapointment. Once the novelty of an electronic album made with guitars wears off, you are left with an extremely downtempo and rather repetative recording. I wouldn't recommend listening to it in the car but I would suggest at least one solid listen, if not to familiarize yourself with every song. This disc will make perfect sense to you when you see it recreated live. Every song will not only be brought back to life but with so much more energy then heard on the disc. Make no mistake, Champion is the brainchild of a DJ and the show is run like a proper club set.

If you are at all a fan of any type of electronic music, or even independent music, Champion is an absolute must see. What you will see and experience live will floor you. Take a couple of friends and prepare to dance every last drop of moisture out of your system.

No comments: