Sunday, September 10, 2006

Benassi

I never got around to posting about my experience at Benny Benassi's little birthday blast at the Fever nightclub. Its already been a couple of months since that show (before I even started this blog) but its a memory I still enjoy to this day.
To describe it in all in a word: Insanity. One word would not do it justice though. I should mention, being raised a metalhead and all, that this was my very first club experience. Not your typical friday night top 40 club thing. I mean an actual noteworthy club dj doing a signature set. To be honest I doubt an experience like this will ever be topped.
It was already after midnight when Benassi first appeared on stage. His mere presence made the crowd go crazy. The cheers over powered the music if he made the smallest gesture. As soon as he hit the decks the place went nuts. A short set of stairs that led to the stage from the dance floor became a stage itself. All the best looking women in the club converged there to shine. The same thing happened to the speaker stacks to either side of the stage which had room for another three girls on each. One girl in particular got on a stack and never left. In no time she was literally soaked in sweat and looked ready to pass out from exhaustion at any moment. She never did and was still there when I left.
Benassi's latest single "Who's your daddy" was the highlight of that nights set. It couldn't have been more perfect. For at least an hour he worked up a complete fever (no pun intended) by mixing together high energy instrumental trance tracks overlaid with vocal samples from the single. The samples, I should add, he laid down by hand with a sampler as he was mixing. He then topped it off with the actual single which proceeded to set the whole place on fire. The entire club was jumping. From the stage to the bar to every wall. Not a soul sat still. It's a sight I will never forget.
By that time it was three in the morning (I think) and Tomena, my "date" for the evening, couldn't take anymore. We had been there since nine enjoying the previous dj's who did an absolutely amazing job. By 1am she was completely wiped out but patiently stuck it out for my sake. After "Who's your daddy" I could barely take much more either and we left. Even at that point Benassi was still going. I can only imagine how long he kept playing.
Before returning home we enjoyed a hearty breakfast at Humptys on Whyte where we watched the sun rise and tried to have a conversation over the ringing in our ears. Upon returning home I had a shower and a nap before heading off to work. I was still half deaf when I clocked in.
Ive never been to a metal show and had this much fun or seen so many things. Ill probably end up like an addict, spending the rest of my days trying to get that high back.

No comments: